Recovery Methods between 2 Deep Work sessions

Hi everyone,

As you know, a good recovery is the key to be efficient. It’s true in sport, and it’s also true in work. That’s why I wanted to write this topic. I’ll share with you some technics and exercises I enjoy doing between two deep work sessions. I hope you’ll share yours too. Indeed, the goal of this topic is to list all the best practices of the community to recover energy and boost the productivity.

A related topic have already been created, but I want to make something more complete.

First, there are technics given by JM that everybody already knew. But I will list them for a little reminder :

• The Prostatic Refreshment :sweat_drops: (“rafraichissement prostatique” in French): to raise your energy level and vascularize your internals organs.
  • The Cold Shower :shower:: to be fully awake and do your magic deep work.
  • The Cardiac Coherence :white_heart:: to regain focus.

Now I’ll tell you what I do personally between my deep work sessions. My favorite recovery method is to do some exercises with a small elastic band like this one:

The goal of the exercises is to stretch muscles which are constantly shortened because of the sitting position. Conversely, I try to contract muscles which are constantly elongated. As you know, we are not made to stay on our ass during hours, but we haven’t choice if we want to make money and so, live as free men. That’s why I always try to reduce bad effects caused by the sitting position

Basicly, shortened muscles are:

• Biceps
  • Chest (and the front shoulder)
  • Abs
  • Hamstrings
  • Finger Flexors

On the opposite, muscles which are elongated in sitting position are:

• Trapezius
  • Large Backs
  • Back of Shoulder
  • And almost all the muscles off the back in fact
  • Triceps
  • Lumbar
  • Quadriceps

So there are plenty of exercises that you can do in order to stretch shortened muscles and to contract elongated muscles. Here is my selection of exercises for each muscles

biceps :

|350.9289099526066x257.47965629523304

Chest :

Abs : I don’t do anything for the abs, but you can have a good stretch by doing crunch on a Swiss Ball.

Hamstrings :

Fingers flexor : I don’t do a special exercise for this. But I pull my fingers back, a hand after another, slowly and gradually until you have a good stretch.

Trapezius, large backs, back of shoulders :

Triceps :

développer ses muscles fessiers > Marche à suivre - Muscler ses fessiers

Lumbar & quadriceps : I don’t do any special exercise for these muscle but lumbar are also worked when you do the Romanian deadlift. For the quads, you can hardly contract them by doing leg extension (but the set up isn’t so easy with an elastic band).

I don’t do all these exercises between each deep work. I just pick some of them and I make quite long sets (around 20 and 50 repetition per exercise). My goal isn’t to make a sport training but just to break the position I take when and when. It’s to make the blood “circulate" as they say. I change my selection of exercises each recovery time. I like to move the upper body first and then the lower body.

There are so many other exercise and technics existing to correct a bad body position. You can find some good information about the postural correction:

:point_right: In this excellent topic

:point_right: In these videos:

:point_right: In this book

There are some other activity that I do after a deep work :

• I’m going for a walk : just few minutes in my garden to breathe the fresh air and create a thermal “shock” between the cold of winter and the warmth of my home.
  • I make a coffee : I love coffee, so it’s like a reward for me. I’m used to drinking it, so I don’t really feels the after effect (but I didn’t feel the boost too)
  • I go to the restroom : There is nothing worse than lose your focus because you have to go to the toilet, so I take advantage of the breaks to do so.
  • I eat something : not something hard to digest, just few nuts or a fruit for example.

Here’s what I do in general. I invite you to share with the community your personal activity between two deep work sessions. I’m sure we can help each other with this and so, be more efficient :muscle:.

Thanks for reading me, work hard guys :+1:

20 Likes

Hey,

Just wanted to share that rope jumping has helped me a lot. Despite it requires a decent place around you, it’s really a great technique to get out of breath fast. After that, blood flows faster and refreshes nicely the oxygen that’s in your brain. This is important and can’t be done throught regular stretching. Also, it allows you to practice coordinating, precision and agility.

Let me know what you think !

5 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your idea, it’s interesting and original! Of course, stretching is only one part of the physical work to be done daily, cardiovascular work is another.

Anything that will get the body moving is always good to fight against the inactivity and forced immobility of computer work.

In addition, jumping rope works the shoulder blade fixing muscles almost isometrically, which can only be good for them!

In rereading my topic, I just saw that I did not mention the hip flexor muscles (iliopsoas and rectus femoris). These muscles, often too stiff, can also be stretched between two “deep work” :+1:.

3 Likes

HI guys.

Stretching is good as recovery, help to relax and gain focus, we can put some mobility hip movements.

It’s interesting to reduce tensions from the pelvic aréa and low back after a long seat position.

2 Likes

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, mobility work is essential if you are not moving daily.

Personally, before starting the physical routine of the morning ritual, I perform simple mobility movements for each joint. Also, before each sport training.

As a static position tends to “stiffen” the spine, exercises that put the spine in motion (typically abdomen and lumbar work) are beneficial if they are practiced daily (and moderately) I think :+1:.

2 Likes

HI Paul, that’s a pleasure to discuss about this, actually I work on vidéo to propose mobility & stretch to help and giving idea to DBL members and other people who ask me often.

Yes I share your opinion, I do it also.

All right, all things are good without excess.

2 Likes

Another thing to help recovery is foam rolling.

Have you ever try ?

Personaly, after 3 years of use, I think, foam rolling is good to vascularize muscle and fascias. That’s a good to help gain mobility with some exercises add.

But in contrary that Trigger point therapy learn during formation, it’s no reduce the tensions.

But “Accupression” with elastic band or ball is much efficient, I think.

4 Likes

Hi Vincent,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes I have already tried massage rollers, massage balls and other.

I practice self-massage regularly at the end of the day to relax and to recover.

More than reducing tension, it really helps to recover better and, indirectly, to prevent injuries.

3 Likes

Hi Paul, no problem.

Yes, it’s very good to prevent injuries also.

These rituals are quick to do and help to recover.

The self massage help me a lot anytime and specially after slave days working.

1 Like