Learning russian

Hi guys ! Hope you are doing well and business is going as planned.

I have been learning Russian for some time. I know there are some Russian speakers in the community. I would like to know your tips for learning the language on your own. I just finished Babbel’s lessons (you could say I’m a false beginner). Going to Moscow in May, I would like to reach a good level before the deadline.

Many thanks for your answers guys. Kisses.

5 Likes

Hey Antoine,

Our fellow @Axel-RUS-G1 has several programs to teach you Russian. Check his website: https://russedebutant.fr/. He also has a Russian channel. I’m currently learning Serbian as I’ll live in Montenegro soon, but I want to go back to Russian around October with Axel’s programs and benefit from my Serbian language skills, as it is a Slavic language as well (and also, the fact Montenegro is full of Russians motivates me a lot).

Good luck in your learning, my friend. I’m glad you’re making an effort to appreciate this great country’s culture even more.

PS: A tip I use to learn languages is watching cartoons in your target language (in my case, Peppa Pig). It helped me to learn Portuguese and Italian.

3 Likes

A big big thank you for your advice! I’m going to look at Alex’s work right now, as well as Masha and the Bear.

Thank you very much moin friend.

2 Likes

Привет друзья!

Here’s an easy tip to fasten your learning path (and it works with any language) :

As a kid, I was a big fan of Harry Potter.

In French, I watched all the movies (more than once) and read the books.

When I was learning English, I naturally watched and read Harry Potter in English.

Same for Russian: as soon as I started to master it, I started to watch and read Harry Potter in Russian.

Of course, it’s not typical Russian litterature as Tolstoi or Dostoevski, but for a language learner, it’s perfect :wink:

And I know that if I want to learn a new foreign language, the first movies and books that I’ll watch and read in it will be Harry Potter.

That’s what I call my “personal Rosetta Stone” (as a reference to the real one)

Yours can be anything: Lors of the Ring, Game of Thrones, Dragon Ball, Hunger Games, etc.

When there’s a book + a film (or series) it’s perfect.

If you struggle with finding one of those in Russian, don’t hesitate to ask.

Note: This is only one advice among hundreds that you can use for a faster learning of a language. If you’re interested in it, I may recommand you to do some searches about language hacking, I can recommand you some books which may be useful if you plan on learning multiple languages through your life.

5 Likes

Спасибо, мой друг !

Tell me, how long did it take you to learn the language so as to be independent in the country?

1 Like

Currently, I’m 19 years old.

I think that I started when I was 14.

I think that I reached the “independent-in-the-country level” after 2 years of learning considering that:

• Most of this time was not a serious learning, there were some periods of time when I did litteraly nothing
  • Among those 2 years, there were 2 months (summer period) of ultra-intensive learning when I practised Russian 11 hours a day

In 4 months of intensive and serious learning, you may reach a level enough to live and work in a Russian-speaking country.

Hello guys,

I’m sharing my current problem with you in the hope that someone has a solution.In all cases, this can serve as feedback.

I got a scholarship to go to study Russian language in Russia (at MPGU in Moscow). This scholarship is funded by the Russian state and awarded by the CRSC. The start of the school year and classes is scheduled for early October (in a few weeks). The goal is to learn Russian language at the university in intensive mode (5 hours per day) for a year and to pass a diploma certifying the mastery of spoken, written and read Russian at a current level.

What is the issue: As a scholarship holder, the student visa must be applied for from France after the issuance of an invitation given by one of the branches of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the invitation is call TELEX number). For me as for the majority of other French students going to Russia, we have been waiting for TELEX to apply for a visa for months. Without the TELEX, no visa or studies. A delay was expected with the opening of the border in early August and the large number of requests, but not to miss the start of studies

The situation is therefore blocked and we have no other feedback than “just wait, just wait

My questions :

• Are there other members affected by this problem?
  • Does anyone have any information regarding the administrative operation around TELEX?
  • Thinking of a plan B, what do you think of Ukraine to study Russian at a lower cost? Studying Russian in Odessa can be fun with your feet in the water :wink:

Take care !

Valik

Hi Valik

I feel your pain, it’s a pretty stressful situation.

This document is issued by the Ministry of Education so there is no way to speed up the process, unfortunately. The university is powerless. Only thing you can do is ask for updates regularly. But yes, you can’t issue a visa without this…

If your purpose is to learn Russian, Ukraine is a good alternative. But beware, I’ve heard from Massiva that Odessa is not so nice in Winter.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback Alex !

Yes exactly, logging in every day with the hope of seeing TELEX appear is tiring but it’s like that. The worst is I don’t understand why the situation is locked because the border is open since august and the ask for a visa is possible. Shity administative situation.

1 Like

Quick update: I asked around, and I’ve heard from a contact in a Moscow university that some invitations are being sent out to foreign students. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll get it too. But at least there’s hope that in the near future, you’ll be able to come to Moscow :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for this feedback Alex, that give me hope. You deserve a beer when I finally arrive in Moscow :beers:

1 Like