Learning russian

Hi guys ! Hope you are doing well and business is going as planned.

I have been learning Russian for some time. I know there are some Russian speakers in the community. I would like to know your tips for learning the language on your own. I just finished Babbel’s lessons (you could say I’m a false beginner). Going to Moscow in May, I would like to reach a good level before the deadline.

Many thanks for your answers guys. Kisses.

5 Likes

Hey Antoine,

Our fellow @Axel-RUS-G1 has several programs to teach you Russian. Check his website: https://russedebutant.fr/. He also has a Russian channel. I’m currently learning Serbian as I’ll live in Montenegro soon, but I want to go back to Russian around October with Axel’s programs and benefit from my Serbian language skills, as it is a Slavic language as well (and also, the fact Montenegro is full of Russians motivates me a lot).

Good luck in your learning, my friend. I’m glad you’re making an effort to appreciate this great country’s culture even more.

PS: A tip I use to learn languages is watching cartoons in your target language (in my case, Peppa Pig). It helped me to learn Portuguese and Italian.

3 Likes

A big big thank you for your advice! I’m going to look at Alex’s work right now, as well as Masha and the Bear.

Thank you very much moin friend.

2 Likes

Привет друзья!

Here’s an easy tip to fasten your learning path (and it works with any language) :

As a kid, I was a big fan of Harry Potter.

In French, I watched all the movies (more than once) and read the books.

When I was learning English, I naturally watched and read Harry Potter in English.

Same for Russian: as soon as I started to master it, I started to watch and read Harry Potter in Russian.

Of course, it’s not typical Russian litterature as Tolstoi or Dostoevski, but for a language learner, it’s perfect :wink:

And I know that if I want to learn a new foreign language, the first movies and books that I’ll watch and read in it will be Harry Potter.

That’s what I call my “personal Rosetta Stone” (as a reference to the real one)

Yours can be anything: Lors of the Ring, Game of Thrones, Dragon Ball, Hunger Games, etc.

When there’s a book + a film (or series) it’s perfect.

If you struggle with finding one of those in Russian, don’t hesitate to ask.

Note: This is only one advice among hundreds that you can use for a faster learning of a language. If you’re interested in it, I may recommand you to do some searches about language hacking, I can recommand you some books which may be useful if you plan on learning multiple languages through your life.

5 Likes

Спасибо, мой друг !

Tell me, how long did it take you to learn the language so as to be independent in the country?

1 Like

Currently, I’m 19 years old.

I think that I started when I was 14.

I think that I reached the “independent-in-the-country level” after 2 years of learning considering that:

• Most of this time was not a serious learning, there were some periods of time when I did litteraly nothing
  • Among those 2 years, there were 2 months (summer period) of ultra-intensive learning when I practised Russian 11 hours a day

In 4 months of intensive and serious learning, you may reach a level enough to live and work in a Russian-speaking country.