Don't be a slave to your private life!

Hello to all,

most of us (if not all) earn our money on the Internet. And the Internet is not a trustworthy friend: it is a mercenary who offers its services to the highest bidders. Currently the highest bidders are the GAFA (Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple). The Internet offers them countless information about countless people, starting with you!

No, I’m not an eccentric conspiracy theorist, but we know for sure how users’ personal data can be used. So protect yourself! I propose you at the end of this post a website that lists a maximum of OPEN SOURCE tools that can replace those of the GAFA.

So sure, the use of these tools is not as intuitive and synchronized as the Gmail suite for example, but with a bit of will and habit of use you will get used to it quickly enough you’ll see!

It is advised to use these tools for your personal use, for your professional use the GAFA are more powerful, it is the price to pay.

For my part, it’s the Batwarden tool that has changed my way of working and connecting to my accounts! A real time saver and a real protection compared to the Google password manager!

And I’ll end with this sentence: "What’s the point of going abroad to escape a communist country and its oppression when you live as a slave to big companies that sell your privacy?

Have a nice day !

The website: PrivacyTools

18 Likes

Hello Gaby,

I totally agree with you ! :nerd_face:

For my part, it’s the Batwarden tool…

I think you wanted to talk about Bitwarden that is an Open Source Password Manager.

Let me add some other privacy tools I always use (_I’m often on the DN… but shhh this is a secret :shushing_face:)

Email : This is important for protecting ourselves to use a good email box. ProtonMail.

End-to-End Encryption

Anonymous Email

Open Source

VPN : This is one way to surf anonymously on the huge waves of internet nowadays. ProtonVPN

encrypted traffic cannot be captured and decrypted later

Web Browser: Useful to access on the web civilisation. Brave for me but you might also use Tor or DuckDuckGo.

1. Does NOT monitor and create profiles of their users or browsing habits.

2. Do not collect user-identifiable data, browsing history, or IP addresses.

I hope you will find some tools you need (or maybe you already know them :smiley:)

Have a nice day !

HackDown

9 Likes

I wanted to make a topic like that since a long time.

I know a lot (too much) upon this subject so I’ll have to put myself into a lot of work in order to get all the information in one place and structured.

But anyway, the topic has already been made by someone else so I feel a need to reply since the tips sahred are not perfect (not anything is).

As well ProtonMail is better than Gmail, it’s absolutely not the best option. Protonmail can be critized. Personally I prefer Tutanota.

In fact, even if Tutanota is more trustworthy on my point of view, they can still read your emails. Thereby, the true best option is to self-host one’s own email server.

But the blackpill is: mails are not designed to be anonymous. Encrypting the body of an email is boring to encrypt and the rest can’t be by anyway protected by any form of encryption.

It’s an utter lie. Some “bad tongues” will say that VPNs totally suck but in fact:

• IP is used in legal issues and in those cases can be linked with real identity
  • Tor is fucking slow and buggy

Actually, it is, by the VPN provider. ProtonVPN is more trustworthy than NordVPN or all those other shitty mainstream VPN provider. However, there are better options:

Tor is almost utterly anonymous, however it’s slow and it breaks a lot of websites. (it’s a lot of time wasted in capcha too).

Brave is very very nice but it’s still Chromium-based so it supports the monopoly of this technology and has the same security issue.

I support FireFox even though Mozilla has done shit, the best is LibreWolf, it makes some tweaks in the parameters of FireFox like Tor does in order to increase privacy, however it does not slow anything. Mozilla sucks Google search whereas LibreWolf uses only privacy-conscious search.

DuckDuckgo has imposed itself as the search engine for privacy. However, it’s not perfect.

Issues of duckduckgo: (source)

• partnership with Yahoo, Amazon and Ebay (that has is in the global surveillance problem)
  • make money through ads
  • searches are saved
  • the founder has a weird history: he collected two times data from his users.
  • run on Amazon servers in the US
  • results come from Bing

The best options are:

• brave search
  • searchx (self-hosted!)

It’s obvious but the minimum step towards privacy is to delete one’s Instagram account, Facebook account and Whatsapp.

The thing that people underrate is the importance of hardware/OS. You can run Tor with a VPN and so on, but if you’re on Windows/MacOS, you’re tracked.

I don’t need to develop on Apple :put_litter_in_its_place:

Alternatives to Google services:

As well, the best true move is to switch to Linux. But just choosing the distro would be a whole topic.

Privacy content to consoom:

As well I haven’t developed enough at all but it’s already a good start.

I haven’t talked about smarphones privacy but anyway the best tip is simply to avoid phones.

7 Likes

Thank you for your answer @Charl-Ubermensch_G3 !

I like to share opinions, especially on computing topics.

But anyway, the topic has already been made by someone else so I feel a need to reply since the tips sahred are not perfect (not anything is).

Of course, I didn’t pretend to share the most prefect tips. But I am glad to read someone sharing his ideas on the subject :wink:

In fact, even if Tutanota is more trustworthy on my point of view, they can still read your emails. Thereby, the true best option is to self-host one’s own email server.

I totally agree you. DIY things are much more trustworthy (computing speaking).

But the blackpill is: mails are not designed to be anonymous. Encrypting the body of an email is boring to encrypt and the rest can’t be by anyway protected by any form of encryption.

It depends on the use of you email server. If it is on your self purpose, I agree. But, if it is on business purpose, my cybersecurity daemon is taking control.

The fact is your business generates your incomes and it is important to protect it against outside attackers that might block, ruin or even steal your work. The most important part of your mail is the content not the contact, subject or any other metadatas.

Therefore, depending on the way you are using email server will have an impact on the way you install it and also which one.

It’s an utter lie. Some “bad tongues” will say that VPNs totally suck but in fact:

• IP is used in legal issues and in those cases can be linked with real identity
  • Tor is fucking slow and buggy

Well, according to the promises of VPN’s company, yes VPN is a lie. (Cybersecurity daemon coming :smiling_imp:)

However, to slow down hackers, it is a way of getting your IP tough to find against hackers. Moreover, I consider people using there IP for legal activities (of course).

Tor… The idea is cool but still let me only access to DN. For other protections, I use proxies chain and a self-made VPN.

Tor is almost utterly anonymous, however it’s slow and it breaks a lot of websites. (it’s a lot of time wasted in capcha too).

Not anymore. Let me explain for the uninitiated. The Tor network is based on 3 points. Entry nodes, intermediate nodes, and exit nodes.

To control the whole network, you need exit nodes. Fun fact: the US federal government (NSA among others) controls enough output nodes to know who is browsing DN. Then, to simply know if someone is doing illegal actions they have just injected malwares or have spies on illegal web sites and forums.

So, Tor is not anonymous anymore.

It’s obvious but the minimum step towards privacy is to delete one’s Instagram account, Facebook account and Whatsapp.

100% agree !

The thing that people underrate is the importance of hardware/OS. You can run Tor with a VPN and so on, but if you’re on Windows/MacOS, you’re tracked.

Never without my linux :nerd_face:

I don’t need to develop on Apple

Apple is a successful company, but crappy products.

I haven’t talked about smarphones privacy but anyway the best tip is simply to avoid phones.

I need to test the new smartphones running on linux :thinking:

2 Likes